Thursday, April 3, 2008

Movies


I was watching Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion. I love 90s fashion for all of the kitsch. The scene with the girls walking on the treadmill, Romy in a purple half top and mini in holographic fabric, and Michelle in her coordinated cherry print outfit, is classic. While I laugh at people on the street wearing outfits straight out of 1993 there is a certain nostalgia about seeing it in the movies. I love that since the turn of the century we have started to combine clothing in a more coordinated, but less matchy way. In fact, mixing designer clothing with vintage finds, or even a pair of $20 jeans is considered normal. Wearing one designer head to toe is no longer necessary, and each person is encouraged to interpret fashion in his or her own way. I love the new freedom we have to be ourselves, inside and out.

xoxo,

Ruth

No comments: